Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Friend, the Woolly Mammoth


A few weeks ago, I had the great pleasure of visiting Whitehorse, Yukon for the first time. I had been invited to be a speaker at the Canadian Science Writers' Conference, held in Whitehorse this year. The theme of the conference was International Polar Year and many of the talks were about climate change and the warming of the polar ice. In conjunction with the conference, three children's science writers (me included) were asked to participate in Family Day at the Beringia Interpretive Centre. Beringia is the ancient land mass that existed between Siberia and Alaska during the Ice Age. It was a land of ice, giant mammals and the First People of North America. Fascinating! Here's me at the Beringia Centre with my new friend, the giant woolly mammoth. Click on the photo to see the mammoth in its impressive size. To find out more about Beringia Centre, go to: www.beringia.com.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I had no idea that woolly mammoths were so enormous!