I'm just back from the Writer's Festival hosted in that glorious spot and it couldn't have been a better time. The setting is idyllic, under the sweeping trees and alongside the Eramosa River, with dozens of authors and poets reading their works to a most gracious and receptive crowd.
A few times over the weekend, I had to pinch myself to believe it was real.
The community (of about 350 people) pitch in to provide warm hospitality to the festival visitors and authors. A team of volunteers cooks and serves dinner to a great crowd of people on each of two nights, and serves up homemade pies for dessert. Not only that, but homemade champagne is poured!
What were the highlights? There are almost too many to count:
- delicious food
- friendly volunteers
- a gorgeous natural setting
- sitting in the sunshine, listening to the authors and poets read their works
- the making of new friends in the Canadian literary scene
- catching up with old friends living across our vast country
- the amazing young student, Samantha, who introduced me at my reading — the best introduction I've ever had! Thank you so much, Samantha!
- the careful and competent organization of travel details, hotels and flights
- the kindness and generosity of everyone I met
I could go on... but suffice it to say, it was a weekend I will always remember.
My sincere thanks to everyone involved in putting on the festival. I feel enormously privileged to have been invited! One day, I hope to return.