Friday, April 29, 2016

Questions, Questions...

I have been busy visiting schools over the last couple of months and have greatly enjoyed speaking to the students I've met.

Even though the schools varied from one another in size, tone, composition, and geographical location, there has been a striking similarity in their enthusiasm for books and stories. The students were keen readers and writers, and eager creators of their own work. And there were many amazing librarians who had done a sensational job of directing students to excellent reading material.

It has been heartening to see the high-spirited literacy in action.

I love question time with the children because I never know what they will ask.

At a recent school, one young student asked me how old I was when I started writing books. I told him. Then a second student asked how many years I had been a writer. I gave that answer too. Then someone burst out: "I know how old you are!" and announced my age.

"You don't look that old," another student said. I smiled and said thank you. And we quickly moved on to the next question. :-)

A virtual bouquet of flowers, and warm and sincere thanks to all the wonderful schools and teacher-librarians who invited me to visit this spring.

It's been a privilege to meet you all!

No comments: