Wednesday, December 10, 2008

To Do List...

In spite of my resolve to blog a minimum of twice a week, I find myself lagging behind. Lest you think that I'm lying on the couch, eating shortbread and watching old Christmas movies, I'd like to let you in on my To Do List. I started this list last summer so that I didn't forget any pressing work assignments that were pending. 

The list is divided into 2 sections: "To Do" and "Done." Each time I finish a task, I move it into the "Done" section. It gives me a lot of pleasure watching the Done section grow. There are such items as: get a new author photo, revise Savanna Animals manuscript, write cover copy for Forest Animals, proof the art for Desert Animals, critique a friend's story, update my school presentation, create a new bio for an upcoming speaking engagement, write a profile for Canscaip News, do my taxes, and on and on. All "Done." Wow! That feels good!

What's slightly troubling, however, is watching the growing number of items in my "To Do" section. Today, I see: develop a Power Point presentation, research 3 book ideas, write a proposal for one of them, create a sheet of Teacher's Tips to accompany my recent series, conduct an interview for a new book, write a current blog entry, and more... Every day I add to the list. 

I don't exactly feel like I'm running on a hamster wheel. I'm very grateful to have so many interesting things to occupy my time. But... there are times when I wonder if life was a little less daunting before I created the To Do List. Facing it each morning is like taking an invigorating dip in a very cold lake.

Just wondering...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sympathize! Sometimes that "to do" pile seems insurmountable...